Suddenly, my feet stopped, as if grabbed by an invisible hand rising up from the grave below. I fell to my knees in the wet grass. Looking at the marker just a few feet away, barely able to see for the water in my eyes, I made out the words, Thompson Gaines Hamrick, Sr. That was my father’s name, my name. I lifted my arms. Face streaming with rain and tears, I screamed, “I am…”. I was transfixed by blinding light. I heard the start of thunder then everything went black

SAMPLE CHAPTERS...

41 - fucking transcendent moment

We had just gathered in formation when the trucks that were going to take us to the firepower demonstration came roaring down the little street in front of the company area. Sergeant Ramos said “what the fuck” to Sergeant Lewis and strutted over to the lead truck. He tapped his swagger stick (the one with the 20 mm round mounted on the tip) against the side of the truck. His hat was pulled down low over his forehead so you couldn’t see his eyes. He talked for a while with the driver then came back, not as fast now, and said something to Lewis.

Lewis walked out in front of our formation and yelled, “Fall out. You’ve got 30 minutes.”.

I wandered over to the shady side of one the trucks and sat down with my back against a tire. It had a rubber smell. Oswald leaned against the other tire. Off in the distance I could hear another training company drilling - hup thrup threep four - left - left - left right left.

The cooling engine popped as I nodded off.

When I woke up something was different. I looked around at the others standing or lying down. It was like a French painting except instead of colorful insubstantial people there were drab insubstantial Marines. Oswald’s eyes were closed, his face relaxed in a frown. He was real.

I muttered. “Peaceful.”

“Say what?”

Oswald was awake.

“Nothing.”

He looked at me, grinning in that funny way he had. We were not friends. But we talked some. He was smarter than your average Marine. He said, “Naw - I heard you say, ‘peaceful’. What were you talking about?”

What the hell.

“When I woke up from my little nap I decided that I was peaceful.”

“Really” he said in his nasal southern accent, “how’s that?”

“It occurred to me that I didn’t give a shit. I didn’t give a shit about Sergeant Ramos, about the Corps, about you even. I had this little fucking transcendent moment. Know what I mean?”

“A rare moment of peace while we lie here waiting beside these trucks that will take us to a place where a variety of weapons will be demonstrated for our amusement?”

“That’s it.”

“No I don’t know what you mean.”

“You never had a fucking transcendent moment?”

Oswald snorted. “Sure. But my fucking transcendent moments aren’t exactly peaceful.”.

No comments:

Post a Comment